Sunday 8 June 2014

Elvis for the World Cup?


I was always thrilled with sporting events.
Not being raised sporty myself, 
I enjoyed my share of the active world 
looking at people finding happiness
 in pursuing impossible tasks.

Pizzas, bier and football go perfectly together, you might think, but there certainly are alternatives, or so dear Nigella says.


So, if you are dreaming of Maracana, 
have a taste of the exotic
Take a look at whay the domestic goddess has in store for you.

I know you might not expect to find the World Cup as a leading topic on a food website, but 1) I love the World Cup, and 2) you've got to have something to snack on while you watch it, don't you?
Obviously, first up for footie food has to be my Soccermole which you probably don't need me to explain is a variant of that gorgeous creation Guacamole. Talking of gorgeous creations, my Roquamole which adds salty blue cheese to the creamy green avocados, absolutely deserves a place as you watch the soccer on the sofa. You can dip into it (as the Soccermole) with breadsticks or tortilla chips and crunch down noisily whenever things get tense. Ditto with my Peanut Butter Hummus.
Other easy-to-make, easy-to-eat soccer snacks include Quesadillas, my Cosmo Cocktail Sausages - inspired by the cocktail not the magazine! - some Mini-Meatloaves, a good grabbable bowl of Bar Nuts, some Tuna or Crab and Avocado Wraps, a Na'an Pizza or two,Lamb Patties with Hummus and Pitta or - if many beers have been downed - the incomparable Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut-Butter and Banana Sandwich.
And if you don't like the football, don't worry: there's always the food!

Let's not mess around: you want trashy, I'll give you trashy - I'll give you the King. This recipe, for want of a better word, comes from a rhinestone gem of a cookbook, Are You Hungry Tonight?, a collection of his favourite foodstuffs bought on a visit to Graceland many years back, prized ever since and a delight from cover to cover. Even my most recent addition to a library already bursting with bad-taste titles, Liberace Cooks!, can't lose him his crown.
Believe it or not, the quantities below appear in edited, attenuated form. I honour the King but I can't be him. 

  • small ripe banana
  • slices white bread
  • scant tablespoons smooth peanut butter (don't use extra smooth)
  • tablespoons butter

Mash or slice the banana. Lightly toast the bread, and then spread the peanut butter on one piece and the banana on the other. Sandwich together then fry in the butter, turning once, until each side is golden-brown. Remove to a plate, cut the sandwich carefully in half on the diagonal and eat.

No comments:

Best buys